Research topic: Translational models of schizophrenia and depression as tools for understanding their development and prevention
Research methods: Brain imaging, brain stimulation, neurodevelopmental manipulations, behavioral manipulations and analysis, systemic and intracerebral pharmacology, molecular biology/ proteomics/drug development (collaborations).
- Delineating the developmental trajectories of schizophrenia-like and depression-like neuroanatomical changes and behavioral abnormalities following early exposure to risk factors for these disorders
- Can schizophrenia and depression be prevented?: Testing the capacity of antipsychotic and novel experimental drugs to prevent the emergence of schizophrenia-like and depression-like behavioral and brain abnormalities following early insult.
- Testing the potential therapeutic and preventive effects of nonpharmacological interventions, from exercise and cognitive effort to deep brain stimulation (DBS)
- Modeling menopause in female rats
- Early developmental insults: what determines if they lead to schizophrenia or depression?