Research topic: Physiology of gait and vestibular function. Motor learning; Sensory- motor – cognitive integration in gait and posture, Pathophysiology of gait and equilibrium disturbances in nervous system disorders. Mental, psychological and psychiatric interactions with motor performance.
Research methods: Subjects: Healthy (young and elderly) and patients.
Apparatuses: V-Gait – Virtual reality system integrating motion, visual and auditory stimuli, CAREN (computer assisted rehabilitation environment) – High immersion virtual reality system integrating motion, visual and auditory stimuli, CODA – motion analysis system, Zebris FDM-T Treadmill, The GAITRite system – GaitRite, OPAL (ambulatory wearable Accelerometers, gyroscopes and magnetometers) Noraxon Telemyo EMG System (surface and fine wire telemetric EMG system), K4b2 – Portable system for monitoring energy expenditure; EEG. Procedures: Observational; clinical interventions.
Projects in the lab include:
- Complexity in physiological networks – for short and long term physiological processes, based on signal processing data obtained from physiological sensors.
- Gait disturbances in Neurodegenerative diseases (e.g., Parkinson’s disease)
- Perception and action in complex environments (with virtual reality systems).
- Development of assistive devices based on eye movements and brain activity and on miniaturized wearable devices.
- Technologically based diagnostic, treatment, rehabilitation and tele – rehabilitation tools.