The research topics and Main projects in the lab include:
- Elucidating the multiple genetic variations that affect the risk and pathogenesis of Parkinson’s disease.
- Studying the genetic changes (modifiers) that influence Parkinson’s disease course.
- Identifying molecular markers in peripheral blood to allow early detection of disease.
- Cellular models of disease with population specific mutations to reveal the molecular pathways and genes/proteins associated with the disease.
- Accurate definition of the molecular changes that lead to decrease Parkinson’s risk (neuro-protection).
- The Genetic background of ALS.
- High throughput genetic methodologies for population genetics, including DNA and RNA microarrays, Genome-Wide Association Studies (GWAS)
- Multiple genetic methodologies to study genetic variations (Genomic disorders-CGH arrays, TaqMan, Sanger and Next Generation Sequencing) and gene expression changes
- Cell culture methods, microscopy and imaging, over-expression models, promoter analysis, protein expression
- Statistics and bioinformatics